All DecalGirl skins are super easy to apply. Check out the video below for an example on an iPad Mini:
First things first... What do I need to install my skin?
You really don't need any special tools to install your skin, but we've found that having the following items handy can make things a lot easier!
Some Basic Installation Tips
Important: If you purchased a screen armor from us or are using a third-party screen protector, you'll want to install that before installing the skin. If you have any questions about your new skin or the installation process, feel free to contact us!
- Be sure to wash your hands before starting. Natural oils in your skin can damage the adhesive backing.
- Look over the skin to familiarize yourself with the pieces so you know which goes where.
- Use a soft cotton or microfiber cloth and nothing more aggressive than water to clean the device.
- If the skin sticks to itself, a quick snap frees it. Yanking or pulling can stretch and damage it.
- Don't separate the clear protective layer from the print - it's there to protect the skin and your device.
Ok, so you've got everything together, now what?
- Prep your operating table: We want a flat, clean area. Make sure it's clean. We're looking to avoid any dust, stray hairs and leftovers on the kitchen table.
- Prep your hands: Get up and scrub your hands with soap and warm water to remove any natural oils and grease from your hands. Dry your hands thoroughly.
- Prep your device for surgery: The surface of your device needs to be clean, so grab your damp towel and wipe your device down to remove any funk. Do not use rubbing alcohol or windex - only use water.
- Dry your device: Using your dry towel, make sure there's no water left on your device. Let it sit for a few minutes to make sure any leftover water has evaporated.
- Get the skin ready: Using your safety pin or paperclip, carefully remove any tiny cutouts of the skin (like the microphone and speaker cutouts on iPhones). We've found it's best to do this while the skin is still on the backing.
- Now you can gently peel your skin off it's backing and apply it to your device. Start at one edge and use the other edges as a guide to get your skin perfectly lined up. Take your time. If you come across any air bubbles or wrinkles during the process, simply run your finger over them and the channeled adhesive will allow the bubbles to be pressed out.
- You're done! You've just installed your first custom skin. Now go show off your newly skinned device to the world!